Monday 27 September 2010

My First Patchwork and Quilting Class - ENGLISH PIECING - Stars


My first class was in making this star, which will then be backed onto a different piece of fabric, eventually creating my first patch.  I have tried to photograph the stages I followed in class to produce this. 

STEP 1.  Make two diamond shaped templates on paper (I was able to copy the templates from my tutor and you can also find them in books).  Each side of the first template being 2 inches long.  The second template 2 and 1/2 inches long, which allows for a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Step 2. Trace the templates onto some template plastic (available from quitling stores).  The plastic templates can then be cut out and you will now have a large lastic template and a smaller one. 

Use the small template to draw around and cut out 6 paper diamonds of the same size.  Use the larger template to draw around and cut out 6 fabric diamonds.



Step 3. The fabric diamonds are then neatly folded around the smaller paper diamonds, pinned and then tacked.


Step 4.  The six diamonds then need to be stictched together, we hand stiched ours.

Step 5.  You have now stitched a star!!  This can be sewn on to another piece of fabric to make a atch and then quilted.  I will shw you these steps when my class gets to them.


I should add that my classes are at the Bramble Patch in Weedon, Northamptonshire.  Its an inspiring place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

:0)